iced tea


iced tea

Listening: The Haunted Mansion is on in the background. I know its not high quality cinema but that is my favorite ride at Disneyland.

Reading (perhaps quality): She's a Rebel: The History of Women in Rock and Roll by Gillian G. Gaar

Reading (definitely pulp): Nothing right now

Drinking: Trying to just sip some water

May 18, 2008
10:11 am

Scene opens, about 3 pm yesterday. My cell phone rings and I pick it up.

  • Me: Hi, Dad.
  • Dad: Hi, Honey. What are you up to?
  • Me: Well right now I'm curled up in the backseat of a small purple car, parked in a parking garage in Columbia Maryland.

Now that I've gotten to deliver that line to my father, I feel like there's no use answering that question again. I mean the answer is never going to get any better...

The full story? Yesterday was going to Wine in the Woods with Watt, Coreen, and Coreen's mom. Had been feeling a little tetchy all day - had had breakfast and drank some water but was with a not great stomach and a little warm but I attributed the former to a bad dinner the night before and the latter to the a/c being on low in the car. We got to the festival, started waiting in line. My stomach was feeling weird and I was a little headachy but I was okay-ish.

Then when we were towards the front of the line I felt that familiar set of symptoms: nausea, cold sweat, tingling limbs, and vision starting to close in. Its been a while since I had heat exhaustion but it was all pretty unmistakable.

I told Coreen I had to go sit in the shade, she walked me over to a tree and I sat down, then laid down. Managed to stay conscious but I knew there was no way I could go and be social. So she walked me back to the car (the EMT staff there were be-yond useless and didn't even ask me if anything was wrong when I near-collapsed to the ground 20 feet from them), opened the windows so I could get the cross breeze and I settled in with some water and banana and tried to sleep it off.

After a couple of hours, dad called and I confirmed with the advice nurse that I wasn't going to die this time. Got up out of the car, and joined the gang at the festival. Didn't drink (sad for a wine festival but it didn't seem a good idea) but had a great time hanging out with the girls and a bunch of Watt's friends from B'more. Came home afterwards and made myself drink more water, catch some sleep, and this morning I feel jumps and jumps better.

Its been at least a couple of years since this has happened. It makes me nervous that it seems to be happening when the weather is nice and I'm not doing anything physically exerting. And other people don't drink tons of water and don't get like that. But most of all, I'm just so used to telling my body what to do that its hard when it starts telling me otherwise.

But I am okay. No heat stroke, Gatorade or water in my bag at all times. And a lot more respect for being aware of (and even obeying) my limits.

a m. just a m

Doing (life and related tasks): Laundry, cleaning, recouping.

Doing (crafty stuff): Pinned a bunch of clothes that need alterations, the sewing starts tonight

Wanting: Nothing and everything.

Anticipating: Bridesmaids Bar Crawl this month, Artomatic, James Bond films al fresco, and a overall return to the social scene.

last one everything else what I'm working on on to the dailies all (well some) about me back to the index page next one


all text, images (except those noted) copyright 2002-2010 Moryma Aydelott.